What do contract cleaning companies do during summer deep cleans?
With most schools having returned from their summer breaks, many are unaware of the huge effort undertaken by their cleaning contractor for the annual summer holiday deep clean.
Whilst teachers and students have 2 months off to take some well-earned rest, Julius Rutherfoord cleaners have been working hard to make sure all of our schools are looking spick and span for the start of a new academic year.
What is a deep clean?
There are 7 main steps to our summer cleaning schedule:
- Initially, we carry out the highest level of cleaning to all walls, cupboard tops, doors and window frames, ledges, picture rails and light fittings amongst plenty of other surfaces.
- All carpeted floors are then cleaned thoroughly with a steam cleaner (see our blog post on how we use steam cleaners) to eliminate even the smallest dirt particles and to ensure they are looking as good as new for the start of the new school year.
- Following the treatment of all carpeted floors we focus on hard floors. We machine scrub them (except those that are sealed) and use a wet pick-up machine to remove any excess dirt or grub.
- Next, where applicable, we strip all of the old sealant from hard floors using a floor machine and stripper. After the old sealant has been stripped, floors are thoroughly rinsed and a wet pick-up machine is used to remove any excess sealant or dirt. All the floors are than resealed using a sealant approved by the specific client.
- All grime and dust is then meticulously removed from both sides of all the Venetian blinds across the school site.
- We then dry dust all walls across the school to a height of 16 feet.
- Finally we wash and dry polish all internal door and partition glass, once again to a height of 16 feet.
Having carried out these steps, the school will be ready for the return of hundreds of students and teachers.
In addition to summer deep cleans and daily cleaning, we also undertake the following cleaning activities during half term breaks: we thoroughly wash down tables, chairs and desks, as well as other furniture to remove dirt, grime, stains, chewing gum and graffiti etc; we machine scrub all hard floor areas, paying special attention to corners and edges of a room where a build-up of dirt can often occur; finally we deep clean toilets to full height, including scrubbing and descaling as necessary.
Our holiday deep cleans make a massive difference to the overall appearance, cleanliness and hygiene of the schools we clean for. The following ‘before and after’ photos really highlight the effect they can have and how integral they are to our cleaning program within schools.